Tuesday, June 21, 2011

When One Show Opens....

I have had a very fun week. Last Thursday after work all of my co-workers and I went bowling. I think I bowled the best game of my life I bowled 132!!  I was at least the highest scoring girl :) .


On Friday we had a lazy day at work since there was hardly anything left to do for Music Man, most of our scene shop staff even got the day off because of the lack of work.  Saturday (but really all weekend) became a very geeky day. My buddy Sean came over and we did a SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis marathon.  But the really fun part of Saturday was going to The Taste of Bloomington which is the annual food festival here.  All of the local restaurants and bars have tents and you get to go around eating fairly cheaply from a very wide variety. Below you can see some of the tents although the festival is much larger than you can see here.


Here is a cool little jazz quartet. The kids look like they are middle/high school age and they were very good just having a jam session.

 

Here is Sean being goofy...although it makes it look like his tongue is touching the top of the chair next to him...weird


After my geeky weekend it was back to work on Monday and now after a few touch-ups and some minor annoyances The Music Man is finished.  It will open on Friday to I hope a good crowd.  I have been to a couple of dress rehearsals now so here are some production photos (although these aren't the best quality). 

 Opening Train Scene


 Street Scene


 "Marian the Librarian"



 Marian's Home Interior (check out specifics about the piano below)


 The same interior flat but on our scene shop floor just after we finished it.


The Mayor's Porch with Harold Hill

Marian's Porch


The Gymnasium


It was the job of the properties department to take an old piano and build on to it to make it look like a vintage upright player piano.  But Robbie (my undergrad scene artist) and I were asked to paint the added pieces to match the real piano....and I have to say I am pretty proud of it.

The original piano


Here is Robbie doing some of the base painting


The top piece base painted


 The way it turned out onstage (the piano did double duty as a regular upright and when you removed the blanket it became a player piano)


Now that Music Man is finished we are on to even more interesting painting projects for our last two shows: The Comedy of Errors and Ah! Wilderness. I hope to post some pics by the end of the week of the really cool sun/moon "drop" that we are painting. 

On a side note...only 10 more days until I get to see my hubby!!!! YAY!!!!!! It has already been about a month since I've seen him but this visit will be special since we will also be celebrating our first (married) anniversary.  But it feels like it has been so much longer than that since we have been a couple now for 5 years. Man time flies. I love you baby!!

1 comment:

  1. And I you! Great work. baby -- the set pieces look awesome. I'm so glad you've found yourself a great group of folks to hang out with. It's going to make the next few years a lot easier.

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete