Thursday, June 2, 2011

The New Job

Monday I started my summer job as the Scenic Charge Artist for the Indiana Festival Theatre.  Although mentally I am loving it my body went into shock the first few days.  As a nanny I worked from 10am-4:30pm and during that time there wasn't a lot of moving around except to move a baby from one place to another. On the flip side my summer job is from 8am-5pm and I am on my feet and moving most of the time. So my endurance is no longer what it used to be in undergrad.  Fortunately it only took 4 days to get me back to my old self.  It is nice to get home from work and still have energy again.

Work......is awesome.  The carpenters are pumping out scenery almost faster than we can paint.  Luckily by the schedule we are keeping in our heads we are almost a head of schedule paint wise.  The first show we are working on is Music Man.  The set design is all 2D flat pieces of scenery that almost have that feel of Victorian lace but a little more colorful.  Below is part of the upstage portal we finished yesterday.



Today we almost finished the library desk for "Marian the Librarian" and we started/finished the train car for the opening scene.  So we are just trucking along at full speed.

My new professor and I are already getting along really well and it only took a few minutes before I felt at home in the shop.  It actually kind of feels like I have already been here a long time. So far so good, eh?  To give me some more to do while I am at home I told my prof about a design I had started while in Oklahoma and he suggested that I continue working on it.  He also offered to look over it for me so in a sense I have given myself homework which strangely enough is exactly what I have been wanting.  Go figure...me an overachiever. 

I guess that is all the news for now, so until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment