Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Full Speed Ahead

So an update about my work at the Indiana Festival Theatre.......

I don't think I have ever worked on a build for a show that moved so quickly and that everybody stayed happy with extremely little stress.  I am seriously loving this atmosphere.  Within 2.5 weeks the show has been entirely built and we are only a few touch-ups away from being done with the painting tomorrow. This show has also been a great way for me to use traditional painting techniques while using some of my new favorites.  My newest favorite is using automotive gravity-fed spray guns which I first learned how to use at my undergrad....this is me giving credit to my undergrad scene design professor. :)   Below are a couple of pictures of the kinds of guns I own.

As my final project in my undergraduate scene painting class we had to choose a photo of a sunset and paint it using our guns. I chose an African sunset and the painting is about 4' x 7' in size.


For this show I have used the spray guns on all but 2 pieces of scenery to create an "ombre," or gradient, effect. Sorry it isn't a more up close picture but in the photo below you can see several of the different set pieces that (they were testing space and weight on the fly system which is why so many are down at once) have an ombre effect on the tops of them.


Something else cool that you can see in this photo is all of the 2D set pieces that were cut out of MDF that back in the day would have had to be cut out with a jigsaw by hand and it would have taken forever.  But luckily my new scene shop is equipped with a CNC router.  It is a large piece of machinery that allows you to enter in your drafting in a computer and the machine is then large enough to route it out of a 4' x 8' sheet good.  Below is a picture of the kind the shop here has.


That is pretty much everything on The Music Man for IFT so hopefully by the end of the week we will be moving on to either Ah Wilderness or The Comedy of Errors almost a week ahead of schedule.  Until next time....Sweet dreams!

1 comment:

  1. Man, your toys are so much cooler than my toys... I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete