Friday, June 24, 2011

Carpenter for a Day

Unfortunately I woke up an hour late this morning which means I got to work about 10 minutes late.  Apparently the rule in this scene shop is that if you arrive late to work then you might as well be a little more late and bring everyone donuts.  Knowing that I was going to be late for work I decided to get bagels instead of donuts....which everyone at work actually seemed more intrigued about.  There is a great place here called the Bloomington Bagel Company and they make several different kinds of bagels and schmears.  I grabbed a dozen bagels for everyone that included pretzel bagels, blueberries, salt, and plain and some extremely delicious honey almond schmear. But my favorite bagel (not just by the name alone) they make is called a flagel which is a flattened bagel.  It is similar to bagel thins but a little wider and way more tasty.  So this whole idea of actually rewarding myself, in this case with bagels, for bad behavior is totally awesome. 

Besides my bagel induced morning within an hour of me getting to work Robbie and I finished the Sun/Moon drop for Comedy of Errors.  So far this has been our favorite thing to paint this summer.  In the picture below it might look small but the disc is actually 18 feet in diameter.  This is the largest drop I have painted in a while and so it is also the first time in a while that I have had to walk on a drop without my shoes to be able to paint it. Some of the other shop workers were also nice enough to build us a temporary bridge using I-beams, scrap plywood and a couple of skates.  Using that bridge was not only the coolest but most comfortable way I have used to paint a big flat like this.  The bridge gave us a place to store our paint and the ability to sit and scoot around the drop as needed.  You can see the bridge in the upper left corner of the photo.  Of course there was also a lot of spatter involved which always makes me happy.


Since we got done with the drop so quickly Robbie and I are again ahead of the carpenters.  We were going to wind up having nothing to do all day today but instead we decided to give the carpenters a hand to help speed up their process that way on Monday we will have something to paint.  Normally if we were under union contracts as painters we wouldn't be allowed near the carpentry side of the shop but because we are in a university no one cares.  I am very glad about that because I love me some power tools!

Until next time I am going to drift off with sawdust filled dreams.....Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment