Saturday, February 19, 2011

Embracing of the print.....footprint that is

During the winter months there are of course several things I miss but the number one thing is being barefoot outside.  That feeling of cold dirt squishing between my toes is absolutely delightful.  Today I was lucky enough to do some gardening in my front yard for the first time since October.  Which meant the shoes were definitely off.  If I could walk around barefoot outside all day I would.  Being barefoot on anything but earth is no fun at all.  Unfortunately my career won't let me be barefoot.

Soon I will be starting grad school for Scene Design in Theater.  In technical theater, for safety reasons, your feet must always be covered.  If you are doing carpentry or metalworking you are usually wearing some time of steel-toed shoes.  But last summer I had the luxury of being able to go barefoot or wear flip flops while painting a show.  It was only the second time I've held the title Scenic Charge Artist (the person in charge of paint for the entire set)  and I was painting under unusual circumstances.  I was working for an extremely small children's theater group and I began painting the set on an university campus until I had to move to probably the smallest shop I have ever been in.  To accommodate myself and the rest of the scenery I had to (for the first time in my life) paint the set pieces outside which meant I could be barefoot and work on my tan a little too.  Besides those two things there weren't really any other perks of that job.

This summer I will get to be a Scenic Charge Artist again except this time for a much more professional, completely indoor theater with their own great build and paint space.  No bare feet or sun inside a theater but for me a theater is home and being barefoot is like a nice vacation.  So until my new job begins in a couple of months I will enjoy my vacations as much as possible!  As should everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment